Saturday, June 21, 2008
The Remnant

"In that day, the Lord Almighty will be a glorious crown,
a beautiful wreath for the remnant of his people."
- Isaiah 28:5

London's popular newspaper, The Telegraph, reported yesterday the results of a national poll.

According to a YOUGOV poll, more than half of Britons think Christianity likely will disappear from the country within a century. Although 4 out of 10 people said that they would choose to be Christians, an almost equal number of respondents said they would rather practice no religion at all.

Interestingly, Buddhism proved more attractive than both Islam and Judaism, and was chosen by nine-percent of those surveyed as their religion of choice.

Research published earlier in the year showed that church attendance is declining at a rate where regular church goers will be fewer than those attending mosques within a generation.

In an age that believes "being culturally relevant" is more important than believing the Bible, many could stand to re-read John Bunyan's classic, Pilgrim's Progress:
As I was walking through the wilderness of this world, I came to a place where there was a cave. I laid down in that place to sleep, and as I slept I had a dream in which I saw a man dressed in rags standing in a certain place and facing away from his own house... As I looked, I saw him open the Book and read out of it, and as he read he wept and trembled. Unable to contain himself any longer, he broke out with a sorrowful cry, saying, "What shall I do?"

He went home in this state of mind but restrained himself as long as he could so his wife and children would not notice his distress. Yet he could not be silent long, because his troubled feeling was getting worse. He finally revealed to his wife and children what was going on in his mind, saying, "Oh, my dear wife and children, I'm suffering from inner turmoil because of a burden that lays heavily upon me."

"And, what's worse, I've been reliably informed that our city will be burned with fire from Heaven. In that fearful disaster, I with you my wife and you my sweet children will come to a miserable ruin unless some way of escape may be found which we may be delivered."
The Telegraph





  posted at 1:27 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Us


Name:
Randy & Kristin Willingham

Our Complete Profile

Food For Thought
"A Christian is a temporal saviour. He feeds the hungry, clothes the naked, and visits the widow and orphan in their distress."
~ John Flavel

Some Heavenly Bread
"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."
~ Psalm 34:8

Our Favorite Links
  • Heritage Presbyterian
  • Alistair Begg
  • Michael Horton
  • R.C. Sproul
  • Dutcher Family
  • Monergism

  • For Your Reading
  • The Gospel-Driven Life
  • The Prodigal God
  • Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands
  • All Things for Good
  • A Severe Mercy
  • The Barren Fig Tree
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • What is a Healthy Church Member

  • Next Books On Our List