Sunday, September 14, 2008
The Road to the Celestial City

A short clip from one of my favorite books, Pilgrim's Progress:

"Who directed you to go this way to have your burden removed?" asked Worldly Wiseman.
Christian answered, "A man who seemed to me to be a very great and honorable person. His name, as I remember, is Evangelist."
"Curse him for his advice!" Worldly retorted. "There's not a more dangerous and troublesome way in the world than the one to which he's directed you. And that's what you'll find if you allow yourself to be guided by his counsel. You have, as I perceive, already met with some trouble, for I see the dirt of the Swamp of Despondence on you. That swamp is only the beginning of the sorrows that follow after the individuals traveling on that path. Hear me, because I'm older than you. In the way you're going, you're likely to meet with Wearisomeness, Painfulness, Hunger, Perils, Nakedness, Sword, Lions, Dragons, Darkness, and - in a word - Death. And you think not? These things are certainly true, having been confirmed by many testimonies. And why should a man so carelessly cast himself away by listening to a stranger?"
"Why, sir," responded Christian, "this burden upon my back is more terrible to me than all these things you've mentioned. No, I don't think I care what I meet with in the way as long as I can also find deliverance from my burden."
"How did you come to get your burden in the first place?" inquired Worldly.
"By reading this Book in my hand (the Bible)," answered Christian.


  posted at 2:59 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Us


Name:
Randy & Kristin Willingham

Our Complete Profile

Food For Thought
"A Christian is a temporal saviour. He feeds the hungry, clothes the naked, and visits the widow and orphan in their distress."
~ John Flavel

Some Heavenly Bread
"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."
~ Psalm 34:8

Our Favorite Links
  • Heritage Presbyterian
  • Alistair Begg
  • Michael Horton
  • R.C. Sproul
  • Dutcher Family
  • Monergism

  • For Your Reading
  • The Gospel-Driven Life
  • The Prodigal God
  • Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands
  • All Things for Good
  • A Severe Mercy
  • The Barren Fig Tree
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • What is a Healthy Church Member

  • Next Books On Our List