Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Edward's Resolutions

In the January edition of Tabletalk Magazine, there is an excellent article on the young life of Jonathan Edwards (considered by most people to be the greatest Theologian and Scholar America ever produced).

Since this article came out at the beginning of a New Year, it's not surprising that the focus was on Edward's resolutions, and what we can learn from how he lived his life.

Listen to these wise words of the then 19 year-old Edwards on his life's resolutions:
Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humble entreat him by his grace to enable me to keep these resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ's sake:

6. Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.

16. Resolved, never to speak evil of anyone, so that it shall tend to his dishonor, more or less, upon no account except for some real good.

40. Resolved to inquire every night, before I go to bed, whether I have acted in the best way I possibly could, with respect to eating and drinking.

42. Resolved, frequently to renew the dedication of myself to god, which was made at my baptism; which I solemnly renewed, when I was received into the communion of the church; and which I have solemnly remade this twelfth day of January, 1723.

10. Resolved, when I feel pain, to think of the pains of martyrdom, and of hell.

45. Resolved, never to allow any pleasure of grief, joy or sorrow, nor any affection at all , nor any degree of affection, nor any circumstance relating to it, but what helps religion.

57. Resolved, when I fear misfortunes and adversities, to examine whether I have done my duty, and resolve to do it, and let the event be just as providence orders it. I will as far as I can, be concerned about nothing but my duty, and my sin.

67. Resolved, after afflictions, to inquire, what I am the better for them, what good I have got by them, and what I might have got by them.

7. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.

9. Resolved, to think much on all occasions of my own dying, and of the common circumstances which attend death.

26. Resolved, to cast away such things, as I find do abate my assurance.

1. Resolved, that I will do whatever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriads of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many soever, and how great soever.

56. Resolved, never to give over, nor in the least to slacken, my fight with my corruptions, however unsuccessful I may be.

33. Resolved, to do always, what I can towards making, maintaining, and preserving peace, when it can be done without overbalancing detriment in other respects.

48. Resolved, constantly, with the utmost niceness and diligence, and the strictest scrutiny, to be looking into the state of my soul, that I may know whether I have truly an interest in Christ or not; that when I come to die, I may not have any negligence respecting this to repent.

  posted at 1:45 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Us


Name:
Randy & Kristin Willingham

Our Complete Profile

Food For Thought
"A Christian is a temporal saviour. He feeds the hungry, clothes the naked, and visits the widow and orphan in their distress."
~ John Flavel

Some Heavenly Bread
"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."
~ Psalm 34:8

Our Favorite Links
  • Heritage Presbyterian
  • Alistair Begg
  • Michael Horton
  • R.C. Sproul
  • Dutcher Family
  • Monergism

  • For Your Reading
  • The Gospel-Driven Life
  • The Prodigal God
  • Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands
  • All Things for Good
  • A Severe Mercy
  • The Barren Fig Tree
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • What is a Healthy Church Member

  • Next Books On Our List