Friday, December 5, 2008
My Times Are In Your Hands (part 1)
We received a wonderful E-mail this week from one of our favorite preachers, Alistair Begg. He sent a note out to all of his listeners to remind them that in times of great uncertainty, we as Christians, have reassuring certainty.

His thoughts come from Psalm 31 and contain nine reminders for the Christian to remember. They were so good that we wanted to share them with you - part one is below. If you've never listened to Alistair Begg, you can listen to him everyday by clicking on his website: www.truthforlife.org.

Enjoy the read, Christian. Your times are in God's hands!

In you, O Lord, I have taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame;
deliver me in your righteousness.
Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.

But I trust in you, O LORD;
I say, "You are my God."
My times are in your hands.
- Psalm 31: 1-2,14-15

1) I am not trapped in the grip of blind force.
The blind impersonal force has been referred to simply as “nature” for centuries, just as it is today. You only have to turn on the Weather Channel to hear talk of Mother Nature and her forces.

This notion is more profoundly evident in the pantheistic ideas of earth prayers that are frequently propounded not only at New Age gatherings, but unfortunately, also in many church buildings. The idea that we are viewed as individual cells in a single global organism that constitutes the earth. God is not distinct from His creation, but instead, is part of it. Have you embraced this philosophy too? If so, then how do you sleep at night? When you wake up in the morning, what puts a spring in your step? Are you living life trapped, caged by a blind, cold, merciless fate, destined to die and go to an unknown eternal destination?

One of the most distinctive features of the Christian today is the way in which we are able to articulate our view of the world. The believer says, "My times are in your hands, and I am not trapped by a blind force."

  posted at 8:17 AM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Us


Name:
Randy & Kristin Willingham

Our Complete Profile

Food For Thought
"A Christian is a temporal saviour. He feeds the hungry, clothes the naked, and visits the widow and orphan in their distress."
~ John Flavel

Some Heavenly Bread
"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."
~ Psalm 34:8

Our Favorite Links
  • Heritage Presbyterian
  • Alistair Begg
  • Michael Horton
  • R.C. Sproul
  • Dutcher Family
  • Monergism

  • For Your Reading
  • The Gospel-Driven Life
  • The Prodigal God
  • Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands
  • All Things for Good
  • A Severe Mercy
  • The Barren Fig Tree
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • What is a Healthy Church Member

  • Next Books On Our List