Wednesday, December 2, 2009
The Christmas Knight

One of the bonuses of marrying an English major is all of the great books she brings into our lives. Especially children's stories. One night this past week, we all gathered on Nicholas' bed as Kristin read us The Christmas Knight by Jane Louise Curry. What a great book.

It's a story about a well-loved knight named Sir Cleges and his wife who each year gave a Christmas feast to all of their neighbors in their village. As years went by, they began running out of money, but instead of stopping the tradition, they mortgaged their farm to continue the feasts until one day they were forced to sell their farm to pay their debts.

When the Christmas feasts ended, all of their friends one-by-one turned up their noses when they met Sir Cleges in town. And as is often true in life, the Cleges' found themselves alone when their ability to provide the great feasts ended.

The next page is my favorite. It's an illustration of a kind faced Cleges kneeling in the snow beneath a cherry tree with the following words:
On Christmas Day in the morning Sir Cleges went out into the garden and knelt in the snow under a bare cherry tree to bow his head and pray.

"I thank you, sweet Christ Child, that I am poor," he said. "For when I was rich I was proud. I loved the praise my good deeds earned near as much as I loved doing good."
These simple words summarize many chapters in a book I recently read by John Flavel called All Things for Good. Flavel convinces you in his book, that God often times brings great trials into the lives of His children to wean us of excessive love of ourselves and to bring us to a deeper dependence on Jesus and a deeper yearning for Home.

What may appear to be difficulties that unravel our lives - are many times the very things that God uses to bring about our salvation. Though we may not believe it at the time, may we say as Joseph did in his trials, 'Lord, thou hast said that thou wilt do me good' (Gen. 32:12).

I thank you sweet Christ Child that I am poor. For when I was rich, I was proud. I loved the praises my good deeds earned near as much as I loved doing good.

  posted at 5:41 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Us


Name:
Randy & Kristin Willingham

Our Complete Profile

Food For Thought
"A Christian is a temporal saviour. He feeds the hungry, clothes the naked, and visits the widow and orphan in their distress."
~ John Flavel

Some Heavenly Bread
"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."
~ Psalm 34:8

Our Favorite Links
  • Heritage Presbyterian
  • Alistair Begg
  • Michael Horton
  • R.C. Sproul
  • Dutcher Family
  • Monergism

  • For Your Reading
  • The Gospel-Driven Life
  • The Prodigal God
  • Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands
  • All Things for Good
  • A Severe Mercy
  • The Barren Fig Tree
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • What is a Healthy Church Member

  • Next Books On Our List