Saturday, December 20, 2008
My Times Are In Your Hands (Part 4)
Part 4 of Alistair Begg's reminder that All of Our Times (not just some of them), are in God's Hands:
In you, O Lord, I have taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame;
deliver me in your righteousness.
Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.

But I trust in you, O LORD;
I say, "You are my God."
My times are in your hands.
- Psalm 31: 1-2,14-15

4) Prosperity should not be the occasion of pride.
A proud or arrogant individual is someone who has never come to grips with providence. The person who delights in saying, "I did it my way," puffs out his chest congratulating himself and is on the wrong end of discovering the doctrine of God’s providence.

The degree to which I boast of what I have achieved is an indication that I have not come to terms with the fact that my times are in His hands. It is an indication that I have not appreciated the words of Deuteronomy 8, which clearly tells me that when I experience wealth, it is the Lord who gives us the ability to produce it, and in doing so He confirms his covenant with us. When the doctrine of providence takes root within our hearts, we begin to say, "My times are in your hands…" and we recognize that prosperity is no occasion for pride.

  posted at 1:55 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Us


Name:
Randy & Kristin Willingham

Our Complete Profile

Food For Thought
"A Christian is a temporal saviour. He feeds the hungry, clothes the naked, and visits the widow and orphan in their distress."
~ John Flavel

Some Heavenly Bread
"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."
~ Psalm 34:8

Our Favorite Links
  • Heritage Presbyterian
  • Alistair Begg
  • Michael Horton
  • R.C. Sproul
  • Dutcher Family
  • Monergism

  • For Your Reading
  • The Gospel-Driven Life
  • The Prodigal God
  • Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands
  • All Things for Good
  • A Severe Mercy
  • The Barren Fig Tree
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • What is a Healthy Church Member

  • Next Books On Our List